Saturday, April 28, 2007

Hashimoto's The Man.

So when my parents left, I thought i'd take the opportunity with a final afternoon of free time to get my hair done. I headed over to Grace, where I'd accompanied a friend before. I was familiar with it and also, Zoe my roommate gets hers done there too.

So I walk in without an appointment and luckily they were able to take me despite how busy it looked inside. I was told to sit down and then this super cool guy hashimoto came over and lead me to a seat so we could talk about what I wanted done. We settled it, a few inches cut off and bangs.

So next he showed me to this little change room in the back of the salon, and he gave me a cape to put on. Now, it was quite strange to me. For why on earth would I need to be in a private little cubicle to put a cape on overtop of my clothes? I had no idea... so I asked, him with motions: Do I need to take off any clothes??? He was of course in shock because I didn't need to do anything of the sort. Of course it didn't make sense, but I didn't want to come out of the cubicle with having done the wrong thing, you know?

So after that confusion, Hashimoto, brought me to the washing area and sat me down. I had never had such a thorough cleansing of my hair before! He was like an angel, perfectly handling my head with such ease. First he did a normal wash, and then he did what I would like to call a 'power wash' where he furiously scrubbed each square inch of my scalp, kinda massaging it. It was at this point that he leaned over so I could tell he was going to talk and said: Do you like my power? :) I smiled and he started laughing and I began to giggle and then we just were laughing full-on, he knew his english wasn't the greatest. I tried to correct him thinking he was meaning to say: Do you like my technique? But later I learned from some students that he probably meant to ask if he was being too rough. It was just so hilarious. After that he gave me a full-on head and neck massage and then cut my hair. That is the norm here, to always get a massage! How wonderful.

So my hair is kinda in a Japanese style cut. The girls here wear their hair long and layered, and they cut it kinda in a V in the back, shorter on the sides, and then layers to frame the face with long bangs swept to the side. So mine is like a not-so-intense version of that. I love the way it falls, it's much better than the regular square haircuts I get at home. Perhaps I'll get another before leaving.

What a cool experience though...props to Hashimoto.

1 comment:

James said...

...but do we get to see the new haircut? NOOOO. C'mon, where's the pics??