For a few months now I have taken up jogging. Originally it was to ward off unneeded stress and clear my head through exams, but now I do it out of sheer boredom.
I started my running career jogging around the cookie-cutter streets of Columbia Forest and Laurelwood through the end of March and April. Now that I am home I find myself running thought the streets of my old neighbourhood. I find myself thinking about old friends and families. I find myself wondering where they're at and what they're thinking...wondering, wondering, wondering...
I run out my driveway and down my street. I start my run at a slow and composed speed so as to conserve energy and warm my muscles up. Down the street a wase I find the deBray's house on the left. My first point of wonderment. I used to swim 6 days a week with Megan deBray, we would share car pooling and hangout at eachother's houses too. I wonder where she's at and what career she's pursuing, I wonder about her family and their health. On the right I pass the Leese's house. My parents have spent every New Year's there since I can remember. I wonder how they're doing and how their daughters are.
Next my mind is brought back to Sheppard Circle, about 5 years ago. As I pass this street I am instantly reminded of the McNinch's, long-time family friends of ours. They are like my second parents. They are the most loving and caring people around. I was free to be in their house or their pool whenever I wanted growing up, even when noone was home. I have so many fantastic memories from there, tanning with my sisters in their backyard, picking gooseberries with Mr. McNinch, and spending Christmas Day there for dinner. The McNinch's had to move about 5 years ago because of Dennis' work. He's a papermaker for Domtar in Montreal. They live on The Farm in Kingston on weekends, and in Montreal in a condo on Nun's Island during the week. Mrs. McNinch is a psych nurse who I'm pretty sure knows everything. Got a problem, go to her. I miss them sooo much still, and I know my parents do too.
Now on my right I pass the Petroff's house. I have known Mrs. Petroff for as long as I can remember, she used to teach math at Denis Morris with my dad. I remember her coming to annual math department parties in my backyard, and teaching me math tricks when I was probably 10. I was friends with her daughter Laura through high school, and I remember going to pool parties at their house. I know Laura is going to teacher's college, and I sometimes see her, so there isn't too much wonderment going on there.
As I near the end of my street, I stop in order to provide an end to my warm up and also stretch out my muscles a little. Doing the hamstring stretch is the best although I have to be sure to not stick my ass out into passing traffic. Afterall, people driving by might know me.
Now, I take a right down Lockhart Drive. It is a wide and beautifully paved road with nice homes along the right and thick bush on the left that runs up the escarpment. I pass by the Otaviano's mansion midst the woods on the left. I used to coach their son, Antonio, swimming in high school, he was such an awesome kid. I wonder what he's up to for the summer and what school he's going to now. Next on the right I pass the street that used to lead to an old friends house. Her name is Samantha Mizel, and I went to school with her in grade 5 and 6 I think. She used to have one of those horses in her living room, the kind you put money in and rode in the mall. She also had a pinball machine in her house. Needless to say going to her house as a child was amazing. I wonder where she's at and what she's doing with her life now.
I finish my venture down Lockhart to the end and then turn right onto Windermere Road. On my left I pass by Mrs. Gelson's old house. She is one of my mom's best friends, and has always been such an amazing lady. She used to take my mom and I to her church when I was younger. She moved from Windermere when her husband died, and now has another place in town and apparently a house in Florida too. She is such a strong and wonderful woman. I wonder what she's feeling and thinking right now, wonder when she's coming back to town.
The next meaningful house I pass is of utmost importance, or at least that is what I'm told. My parents used to live on Windermere at #12 before I was born, and so this is where my sisters did most of their growing up. My sister Milja has countless memories at this house, and she always talks about them like I was there. Generally I will just pretend I was there and that makes things easier. It definitely is weird thinking about how your family was a family without you for 9 years. I guess that's what happens when you're a surprise. :) Anyway, I wonder who is living in this house now and if they're having as much fun as my family did.
The next house over is the last house where I wonder. Twelve Windermere is the home of Jerry and Sonny McCallum, friends of my family. These people are some of the most kind, and especially generous people I have come to know. My mom always tells me that we and the McCallum's used to live out of eachother's houses. Jerry would always offer us her pool to cool off in during the summer, and I can safely say that I have brought most of my friends there for a swim over the years. Sonny died about 2 years ago from a brain tumor, and I can't believe how strong Jerry has been through it all. She is such a strong and honest woman, and I am so glad to have known her so well. Nonetheless I wonder about Jerry all the time, wonder how she's doing, what she's thinking and feeling too.
From here I finish my run down Northcliff and Glendale before turning onto my street again. I sprint to the beginning of my street until I can't feel my legs, just like I used to as a child. I then cool down by walking down my street to my house and stretching a little more. Running makes me happy and clears my mind, but the best part is seeing my neighbourhood again and remembering my roots and where I've come from. Wondering is fun too.
Thursday, May 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment