Since I've been home I've decided to spend some time at my old high school, and consequently made a new friend.
Last May when I was bored, I volunteered at my old high school tutoring in a math class, and helping students after school. This May I'm bored again and I decided to do the same thing, although this year it's in an english class, and one boy in particular.
His name is Nick, although I have wanted to call him Kevin from the start - maybe he looks like a Kevin. Anyway, he is in grade 9, all applied classes (for those of you who don't know...applied is for those kids who have trouble learning) and he's failing everything. I kinda felt bad because the first day he thought I was coming he got all cleaned up for me, but I couldn't get to him because the resource teacher that was supposed to take me to his class wasn't there. I didn't know his name or the teacher's name yet!
Anyway, I got to the class the second day, although they were on a short clock so class was done quickly.
He is such a great kid, really kind and welcomed me to the class very warmly. He is extremely easy to talk to which is good, and he seems open and very agreeable. I hope I can be of help to him in the small amount of time i have to spend with him before I go out west. I think just putting in the time is a help though because I could tell he was trying harder in class with me there. He was answering a lot of questions and volunteering to share his work. I figure it boosts his self esteem and just makes him feel special, you know?
Anyway, I will let you know how things go and if his marks improve, I hope they do.
Thursday, May 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh meggie you are so cute!
You'll be the best tutor that kid will ever have and i'm sure his marks are gonna go up too.
Meg
Yer like the female Jesus...
well, not really...but you are still freakin' nice.
Aww...you kinda helped me like him too huh?:) And I totally cleaned up for you.
Hey I got a C...you did something right eh?????!!!!!
Post a Comment