Man alive, this is a stressful time of year for me.
This might sound mean and abnormal, but it's something that I struggle with when I am home, and especially in the spring time.
I absolutely HATE IT when my mom does my laundry. I can honestly think of nothing worse. I would rather shoot myself in the foot, no word of a lie. I mean, yes...she is the one who taught me, she is the one who did my laundry when I was little, but I can't handle it now. Trust me, I have actually cried over this.
I have been doing my own laundry since grade 9 I would say. I was an early bloomer when it came to laundry, and I am a ridiculously picky person when it comes to clothes and cleaning them. Over the years, I have learned to get stains out of most things, and it is rare that I shrink a garment - although it has happened. But the most important thing for me is how my laundry is dried and how it hangs in my closet. Clothes-pin marks, hanger nipples, and warped clothes are my nemesis. I unnecessarily get myself worked up over such things. I really feel like i know my clothing fibres, I know what they can take and what isn't good for them. I simply am seeking their best interest.
There is only one person in the world who I will for a second consider letting do my laundry, and that is my eldest sister Michele Katharine. She is peticular like me, although she has made a few laundry calls that I didn't agree with. We won't get into those.
But when I am home, my mom is constantly nagging me: "Do you have laundry? Let me put it in." I will say that it is the most annoying thing EVER. I truly love my mom, but first of all...have a break! Go watch tv or have a nap, I would rather do the laundry myself. You would think that she'd jump on the opporutnity to have a night free.
Through my 7 years of begging my mother to leave my laundry alone, she still manages to cut in and take over from time to time. I have to be quick to catch her. Her favourtie thing to do is put my laundry in the dryer in the winter, or hang it on the line in the summer. Just thinking about this gets my blood pressure to rise. She hangs EVERYTHING on the line, and puts whatever she wants in the dryer, even bras and things that can shrink. GOSH!
And, sometimes there are special garments that just need to go in the dryer. Things like sweatshirts, some bigger jeans maybe, and thinner materialed things such as pyjama pants perhaps. But of course my parents are so cheap that we're not allowed to run the dryer ALL summer. At this point I just simply wait for my family members to go out in order to complete the laundry cycle. Phew.
Luckily I only have 2 more weeks to suffer through this craziness. Bring on camp.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That was like the anti-Mother's Day post, man.
Ah, mothers. Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.
Just kidding. Seriously, though, my mom is so strange in her own way too, she always gives me the most practical gifts for like my birthday and Christmas... ie a frying pan, cutlery, or a manicure set. (This was when I was still in High School).
I have found a completely joyful and mostly stress-free relationship with my parents after I moved out and stayed out 3 years ago. However, I know this is not the key for everyone, as seen in Rose's relationship with her parents. Looks like you're just stuck with it Meg.
Nath
PS Meg, my blogger ID is James, mostly because Rose's sister Maria has a blog, and she has like 4 friends with the name Nathan (and James is my middle name...).
Haha, thanks nath. The mother's day comment was the best, I wasn't sure why I kinda felt bad while writing it. :)
Oh, right James is your middle name...wow, 4 friends with the same name is a lot.
Hey babe...
Feel that pain-Except now that I have complained so much my mom jsut says "you know where everything is" I swear it gets better or your mom jsut gets sick of hearing you bitch.
pff...you're still a kid for sure...when you finally have your own establishment and kids you'll be wishing you'd of let your mother do more of your laundry and not been such an ingrate...
as for the early bloomer of laundry...ah no. i started doing my own laundry in grade 5
Post a Comment