So last night two good friends of mine, Chris and Erika Schryer, came down to visit me in St. Catharines. In case you don't know them, they are two of the nicest and most loyal people I know, they're just simply great. :)
Anyway, let me tell you about how much I fell in love with a favourite bar of theirs called The Angel. The Angel can be found on the Main Street in Niagara on the Lake, and what a cute little place it is. It is a bar and dining room on the main floor and a hotel above. The bar is the oldest bar in lower Canada (Chris, correct me if I'm wrong), and it's just little. The interior is all wood, and all the tables are made from old sewing tables. They have live music and the crowd is delightful, I would say an age range of from early twenties to 50's, or 60's. The atmosphere was so spectacular, up beat and with some people randomly dancing. We were there last night for probably about an hour and a bit, and man alive it was packed. There was a little nook when you walk in to the right, up by the bar. Sitting there would have been key.
We returned the next morning when they opened at 11:30 for lunch. We were the first ones there but people steadily arrived until we left. I had a grilled cheese and Chris and Erika had fish and chips. The meals were awesome. What a great little place. You should check it out sometime. :)
Saturday, May 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Me dearie,
The Angel is clearly one of the best places in the Niagara Region for a pint and good food. Although they say the hotel is haunted!! ahahahaha
are you scared?!?! i know you are.
We'll go i am coming home on tuesday k?
LOVE YOU MISS YOU
Hey Megs
I love your blogs! Keep up the good work. The Angel Inn is actually The oldest Bar in Upper Canada, but who's being picky? I had a great time too! We will have to do it again sometime. Love Ya!
Thanks so much Erika, you know, I was going to put Upper Canada but with using all my logic, I thought - any other place in Canada would better be called upper than Niagara Falls. So, I went the lower root which clearly was wrong.
Just for all you readers out there who are curious, Erika told me today that the early settlers called it Upper Canada because when they discovered Canada they thought they were travelling North on the St. Lawrence River.
Anyway, just thought I'd share that and expose to you all how much I didn't pay attention in grade 7 and 8 history class.
Good old Upper Canada.
Post a Comment