Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Little Soul

I guess I haven't really told you all about church. S'abou time.

So I go to church in Osaka on saturday nights. It's at the Osaka Christian Centre (OCC) which is a building and organization. My church is Osaka International Church (OIC) and we rent out the OCC each week for our services. I work every sunday morning, so I must go to church on saturday nights.

It's SO SMALL. Seriously, like tonight there were 6 people total including Pastor Dan and his wife Karen. It's just like this for saturdays, sundays there are about 35 or so people i'm told.

So anyway, it's amazing because Pastor Dan translates each thought or idea he's explaining as he is giving his message. I love it because it gives me time to actually think about what he's saying while he's speaking the Japanese part. It really blew my mind the first time, but now i'm just used to it.

Anyway, the real reason why i'm posting has nothing to do with church. AFTER church tonight I was with my friend Junko and I saw on my way there that in the main sanctuary there was a Christmas Concert on!!!!!!!

It was put on by the Private Christian College that is just across the street from The OCC. The concert was called The OJC Gospel Choir Live 2006. Wow was I pumped to see the word Gospel.

So Junko and I snunk in the back and watched the second half. They basically had me in tears (well, almost). In the beginning the solo parts were a little shaky, but as a group these girls were something to write home about. Of course after like 2 songs I had my favourite member picked out, this girl that was dressed oh so cooly and just has so much passion and soul. It really got me emotional when she conducted a Gospel version of Joy to the World. I hadn't seen someone so passionate about God and music yet in Japan as that girl was. It made me miss home.

What really got me was remembering being in the Embassy choir first year of Uni. I was picturing all the old leadership people...and Sarah down front leading us...awwww, what great times those were! Sarah Wit, Hannah, Erika Sorensen, Jodi, Amber, Steve (hahahaha), Regan, Chung...i'll never forget! And if I'm leaving anyone out, i'm sorry...

Please comment to me about the good old choir times...Hann i remember our freak trip to Cambridge between services...and our shared love for Eminem...(weird, i know)...

Anyway, for a split second tonight I was brought back to those great days, and also I was just so very happy to see such a jubilee over Christmas in Japan. I guess I just wasn't expecting as much as this...

Looking foward to the J-House (yes, that's the name of this other church my good friend Mayumi attends...) Christmas Concert on the 23rd!

Post back...

3 comments:

James said...

I think that's so amazing that you found a church that you can go to. That would be tops on my list of necessities if I was halfway away from home.

It's funny how church reminds us of stuff. Every time we're at Embassy we think of you, Meg. We miss ya.

Hannah Marie said...

hey girl
eyes have been moistened. as you were writing about the choir that you saw i was totally thinking of the embassy choir so i loved when you mentioned it. haha our spur of the moment trip when we BARELY knew each other. so classic.
love you girl
hann

Anonymous said...

hann and nath(and rose)...

thanks for the comments, a friend who comments is SO SPECIAL. although, i don't often comment on your pages...but please know that it is much appreciated.

I miss Embassy so very much. But i'm glad i know you are all still there having a grand old time.

Love you both and miss you too!