Saturday, December 16, 2006

Aimi and Yuuko

So today I had two of my favourite students. The first is Aimi, she's 7 years old, and the second is Yuuko, her mother.

I taught Aimi in a one-on-one lesson today. I have taught her the past couple of lessons, and she's a prize student. She's so absolutely adorable and smart and we have our own certain things we like to do together in the lesson. Last week she drew me a picture of the Nova Christmas Usagi (Bunny).

Then I taught her mother in a one-to-one class. I chose to teach her a lesson on holidays so we could talk about Christmas and New Year's. She told me about Children's Day (which is actually on two different days for boys and girls) where for example the girls dress up very elaborately in kimono's and make-up and celebrate being a feminine girl (I guess), the boys wear swords and celebrate their strength and masculinity. The surprising thing she told me is that Children's Day for boys is a national holiday, but it's not for girls. Surprising for Westerners, but not for the Japanese.

Anyway, Yuuko used to be a reporter for a news station in Japan...not sure if it was in Osaka or what, but I think that's pretty cool.

As soon as I can get a pic of Aimi, I'll put it up. Yuuko told me she'd bring me a pic of her all dressed up for Children's Day (in March). :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey babe, well all this blogging is making my blog look not so good...AHAHA..none the less...your blog is amazing:)...I miss you..talk to you soon...

ME

Anonymous said...

yay!!!

you commented...thanks for the attention...

meg. xo