Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I Was Cinderella

Okay, so Iwanted to post this little story a while ago, right when it happened.

I was riding my bike back from the station one night after work. It was maybe 10 pm. I was wearing heels while peddling, doing it the Japanese way.

I got just up to my street when on the sidewalk another bike was coming toward me. I went to bow my head and as I passed this young man, I somehow kicked off my shoe. Reacting with an 'ahhhh' I slammed on the brakes and stopped maybe 9 feet away, with my shoe having flown backward. I looked back and noticed that the Japanese boy had immediately stopped his bike and reached down to get my shoe. He saw he couldn't pass the shoe to me so he dutifully set up his kickstand. I then was shocked to see him walk over to me with the shoe held out on the palms of his hands. He then bowed to me and offered for me to take it from him.

It took a few minutes for me to realize what happened. I think i'm becoming accustomed to the extreme etiquette in the Japanese culture. It's so astounding! What a shock I will be in for when i return home...

2 comments:

James said...

I want you to come home, but I don't want you to come home...It's going to be shocking. Let's not think about it.

ROSE

Meagan said...

That is an AMAZING story!!
I miss you meggie more than anything!!
Love you
Meg