Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Miki, not Melissa

Hello loyal friends,

I have another cool story to share.

Today I taught my FIRST private lesson! It was a blast, and I can't believe I got paid for it.

So I met this young Japanese girl named Miki at the Seattle's Best in Uehonmachi Station. I arrived at the cafe before her, and when I first saw her I did a 'I bet that's her' to myself. I saw her kinda just walk around the place and then get out her cell phone. She didn't see me because I was inside ordering. So then I ordered and got her email that said 'call me when you get here'. So I called her and watched her order and not pick up her cell phone. All the while still not positive if it was her or not, but simply having a hunch.

Finally she walked out of the ordering area to come and sit when I caught her attention and asked, are you Miki?!! And she of course responded: Yes!! Yes! Hello!!

So from there we basically talked. She started by asking me questions and then said that basically in her lessons she wants me to ask her questions so that she answers and practices her English. She doesn't care about writing or learning new vocab because her grammar is pretty good and her vocabulary is strong. Sometimes if she doesn't understand a word i'll write it down, but then she usually knows it right away. It was really a great time. I basically don't have to prepare at all to teach her, which is nice.

She said that her father is the owner of a company that has many factories that take fibers to make thread and fabric and then he sells them to clothing manufacturers (i'm guessing). It was really amazing. She works for her dad.

Okay, but the coolest thing is that she reminds me of someone from home! It's my good friend Melissa Roswell (now Wilms) from Waterloo, she was my roommate in Grebel first year. She just got married before I left Canada. It's really weird because i'm always so surprised when Japanese people remind me of friends from home, although it actually happens often. She kinda laughs the same way Melissa does and she also kinda looks the same way...if that's possible...

Anyway, that's my story for today. Tomorrow I teach another private student for the first time. She wants me to help her learn the english for making bread so she can show others
in english. Sounds cool.

1 comment:

Sara Murphy said...

Hello lovely!
I'm glad you are having fun with your private lessons. Its always amazing when you feel like you are getting paid to do something you would do for free!
Are you getting excited for your Christmas trip?
I miss you muchly!
Sar