In tradition (this being the second year) Steph and I get together in June to drive across the country in order to bring little Poppy (her car)over to camp for the summer. This year we decided to take the route through the states. This is us in South Dakota after pulling over to take a picture of the beautiful sunset. We travelled through many states including Washington, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. 
Poppy broke down a number of times on the trip...she smoked most of the way as well. Her ailments included a broken headlight, an oil leak, lack of antifreeze, and most importantly the air conditioning quit on us. This made for some fairly hot days, especially in South Dakota when the temperature was in the high 90's, even in the shade. We were really impressed with all the people who helped us along the way with the car. Wyoming has the nicest people by far.

One of the highlights of the trip was driving through a traumatic thunderstorm. This happened in Wyoming. We were approaching a town called Gillette. Little did we know that it is the Ethanol capital of the Nation and that every business man in the Ethanol industry was there for the week. Out of the 14 or so hotels they had, there wasn't one room to spare. With no other choice, we headed out onto the highway again. The lightining was nothing that I had ever experienced before, it was completely surrounding us.
We got to the next little town that had 4 little motels, but there were still no
rooms. Having no choice but to drive in the storm for another 40 minutes, we finally arrived at a Best Western in the next town. Wow, were we glad that was over. All in all the trip was a success, although we spent four 14 hour days in the car. I didn't mind though, driving is fun, and we got to listen to tons of music. : )
2 comments:
Glad to see you back ;)
Did you take any pictures of the storm?
Hey Justin,
Glad to be back!
I kinda took some of the storm...in the beginning of it at least. It was pretty crazy. When we were in the middle of it though it was pitch dark, so pics wouldn't have really turned out anyway. We actually had a video camera with us and I 'thought' I was taping most of the storm until 5 days later we were at camp and realized that I didn't press record. That was depressing. I'll post the ones I have though.
Good to hear from you!
Post a Comment